Carol M. Baldwin, PhD, RN, CHTP, CT, NCC, AHN-BC, FAAN
Professor Emeritus; Southwest Borderlands Scholar; Deputy Director, WHO/PAHO Collaborating Centre to Advance the Policy on Research for Health; Past Director, Center for World Health
- Post-Doctoral Studies - University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
Epidemiology of Sleep, Environmental and Cardiopulmonary Disorders (1995-97)
- PhD - University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
Biological Psychology, 1988
- MSN/BSN - University of Phoenix, Tucson, AZ
Community Health Emphasis, 2003
- MA - Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI
- BA - Mount Mary College, Milwaukee, WI
Communication/Family Studies (Magna cum Laude), 1982
- ADN - Milwaukee Area Technical College, WI
Nursing (Magna cum Laude), 1977
- Certificate - St. Joseph's Hospital School of EEG Technique, Milwaukee, WI (1963-65).
- Baldwin CM, Schultz AA, Berrere C. (2016). Evidence-based practice (Ch. 27). In BM Dossey & L. Keegan (Eds.), Holistic Nursing: A Handbook for Practice (7th ed.), pp. 637-661. Boston, MA: Jones & Bartlett.
- Petrov ME, Buman MP, Unruh ML, Baldwin CM, Jeong M, Reynaga Ornelas L, Youngstedt SD. (2016). Association of sleep duration with kidney function and albuminuria: NHANES 2009-2012. Sleep Health: Journal of the National Sleep Foundation 2(1):75-81.
- Buman MP, Epstein DR, Gutierrez M, Herb C, Hollingshead K, Huberty JL, Hekler EB, Vega-Lopez S, Ohri-Vachaspati P, Hekler AC, Baldwin CM. (2015). BeWell24: Development and process evaluation of a smart phone 'app' to improve sleep, sedentery and active behaviors in US Veterans with increased metabolic risk. Translational Behavioral Medicine (1-11), doi:10.1007/s13142-015-0359-3.
- Yeom H-A, Baldwin CM, Lee MA, Kim SJ. (2015). Factors affecting mobility in community-dwelling older Koreans with chronic illnesses. Asian Nursing Research 9(1):7-13.
- Baldwin CM. (2014). Sesion 13: Los trastornos del sueno y la promocion del sueno saludable (Sleep disorders and sleep health promotion). In Camino a la Salud (Su Corazon/Su Vida) manual para educadores de la salud, promotoras y promotores. Washington, DC: PAHO/WHO.
- Baldwin CM, Reynaga Ornelas L, Russell M, Batool-Anwar S, Quan SF. (2014). Quality of life and sleep disorders in special populations. In S Garbarino, L Nobili & G Costa (Eds.), Sleepiness and Human Impact Assessment. London: Springer.
- Diaz-Piedra C, Di Stasi LL, Baldwin CM, Buela-Casal G, Catena A. (2014). Sleep disturbances of adult women suffering from fibromyalgia: A systematic review of observational studies. Sleep Medicine Reviews 21:86-99.
- Petrov M, Lichstein K, Baldwin CM. (2014). Prevalence of sleep disorders by sex and ethnicity among older adolescent and emerging adult college students: Relations to daytime functioning, working memory and mental health. Journal of Adolescence 37(5): 587-597.
- Batool-Anwar S, Goodwin JL, Drescher AA, Baldwin CM, Simon RD, Smith TW, Baldwin CM. (2014). Impact of CPAP on activity patterns and diet in patients with obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine 10(5):465-472.
- Buman MP, Winkler EAH, Kurka JM, Hekler EB, Baldwin CM, Owen N, Ainsworth BE, Healy GN, Gardiner BA. (2014). Alternating sleep, sedentary and active behaviors. Effects on cardiovascular disease risk biomarkers, NHANES 2005-2006. American Journal of Epidemiology 179(3):323-344.
Areas of Interest
World & U.S. Border Health; Health Equity; Sleep Disorders & Associated Chronic Diseases; Sleep Health Policy, Education & Promotion; Hispanic Health; Quality of Life; Complementary, Alternative & Holistic Health
Grants and Projects
- Transdisciplinary training in health disparities science (Faculty). Funded by NIH NINR, 2011-2016; $654,730.
- Spirituality and Quality of Life in Diabetes (Co-I). Funded by the University of Guanajuato, Mexico, 2013 - 2015; $7,692.
- Patterns of sleep, quality of life and mobility in older cancer patients during chemotherapy in Korea (Co-I). Funded by Catholic University of Korea, 2012-2014, $100,000.
- Spanish Translation and Validation of Sleep Measures (PI). Funded by NIH NICHD, 2007 - 2010; $148,031.
- Polysomnography in Homeopathic Remedy Effects (Co-I). Funded by NIH NCCAM, 2005 – 2009; $450,000.
- Health Related Quality of Life in Colorectal Cancer Survivors with Stomas (Co-Investigator). Funded by NIH NCI, July 2004 – 2009; $1,334,482.
- 2015 - ASU President's Medal for Social Embeddedness (Su Sueno/Su Vida; Your Sleep/Your Life)
- 2013 - Appointed to ANA Professional Issues Panel on Nurse Fatigue
- 2013 - Reconocimiento "Sleep Disorders and Chronic Disease" contribution to the University of Guanajuato, Mexico Certified Diabetes Educator Program funded by the World Diabetes Foundation.
- 2012 Co-Chair, Global Health Nursing Expert Panel and Emerging/Infectious Disease Expert Panel joint AAN pre-session conference planning committee.