College of Nursing & Health Innovation (CONHI) Student Leaders demonstrate leadership, academic excellence, and exceptional interpersonal skills. In addition, Student Leaders have a keen interest in helping new students succeed through involvement and engagement with CONHI, ASU’s Downtown & West campuses and the University. We are currently seeking to fill positions for Camp CONHI Leaders (C3s) and Mentors for Academic & Personal Success (MAPS). These two positions are highly visible and responsible roles offered to a select number of dedicated students.
Application deadline: Thursday, July 12, 2018
- Develop leadership skills and grow as a student leader while enhancing your resume
- Enhance skills in the areas of interpersonal relationships, problem solving, public speaking, etc.
- Develop a network through working with faculty, administrators and staff in the college
- Connect with other CONHI students and peers
An interview will be scheduled once a complete application is received and approved. Interviews will be approximately 15-20 minutes in duration each.
CONHI Student Leaders behave in a courteous and professional manner in representing the school and its programs. In addition, they:
- Serve the College of Nursing & Health Innovation
- Set an example of leadership, scholarship and integrity
- Work cooperatively as a team
- Respond to the coordinators’ and staffs’ communications in a timely manner
- Adhere to commitments and deadlines
- Undergraduate student who has completed at least one semester in the College of Nursing & Health Innovation and completed a total of 24 credit hours by August 15th, 2018
- Will be at least a second year student at ASU as of August, 2018
- Cumulative ASU GPA of 3.00 or greater
- Enrolled as a full-time student in CONHI
- Exhibits leadership skills: dependable, reliable, positive, assertive, and responsible
- Displays history of campus involvement
- Able to establish priorities and behave in a polite and courteous manner
- Not committed to a job or extracurricular activities for more than fifteen hours per week (including internships, MAPS only)
- NOTE: Students cannot be employed by the University for more than a combined total of 20 hours per week. This only applies to students employed elsewhere on campus.
- Submit all completed application materials as soon as possible.
Camp CONHI Counselor (C3)
Immerse yourself in the CONHI community while enjoying the mountains and cool air of Prescott, Arizona! Camp CONHI is a two-day, three-night experience, before classes start, designed for our incoming freshmen. You will mentor these students, assist with their transition to the college environment, give tips-of-the-trade as to how to succeed, get to know more of your peers, engage with faculty, staff, and college leadership and create memorable experiences, not only for our new students, but for yourself!
C3 Requirements (Training in late Spring 2018 & August 8th-12th; sophomore, junior, senior-level volunteer position):
- Attend training during the spring semester (April)
- Participate in one full training day, prior to camp.
- Commit to attending Camp CONHI in Prescott, Arizona from Friday, August 10th through the afternoon of Sunday, August 12th
- Assist students with check-in on campus and bus boarding
- Lead scheduled activities and participate in all aspects of camp from bus ride games to s’mores at night
- Guide, mentor, and build rapport with incoming ASU CONHI freshmen
- Other related duties as assigned
*If you are living on campus, we can arrange for early move-in
Compensation: leadership training, transportation, meals, ASU/CONHI swag, and a memorable experience!
Mentors for Academic & Personal Success (MAPS)
The MAPS position is an opportunity for the 2018 - 2019 academic year. MAPS guide, inform, engage and mentor our CONHI freshmen. Fall 2018 has MAPS acting as an undergraduate teaching assistant for ASU 101, while Spring 2019 aims to continue and build the momentum while further engaging students through continued outreach efforts, committee projects and campus based activities and programs.
MAPS Requirements (2018-2019 academic year):
- Attend Training during the spring semester (April 12th & 17th from 4:30pm-6:30pm)
- Complete 10-15 hours of online and virtual trainings over the summer to prepare for the fall academic semester
- Participate in a one day mandatory training in August (August 8th & 15th)
- Serve as a Camp CONHI Counselor (C3s)
- Assist with College Welcome assembly for ASU Welcome Week
- Provide five hours per week in Fall 2018, as follows:
- 1 hour to plan and co-facilitate ASU 101 class (75 minutes)
- 1 hour to meet and collaborate with the MAPS team
- 1 hour meeting with ASU 101 Instructor
- 2 hours attending events with ASU 101 students
- Provide two-five hours per week in Spring 2019
- Involves weekly meetings with Student Engagement staff, marketing and continued student engagement
- Complete in-office work hours dedicated to department projects and special assignments
- MAPS serve as campus and college liaisons, connecting students to appropriate resources (Career Services, ASU Libraries, Study Abroad, Counseling Services, University Academic Success Programs, Disability Resource Center, Student Clubs and Organizations and Advising and Student Services)
- Other related duties as assigned
Compensation: a $1,000 stipend ($500 each semester)