Health Care Compliance and Regulations

Home / Degree Programs / Minors / Health Care Compliance and Regulations

How to declare a minor

Consult your academic advisor and or an advisor in the unit offering the minor for more information.

(602) 496-2644

A minor in health care compliance and regulations allows students to combine the knowledge of their major discipline with the foundational and advanced knowledge that is required for support of regulatory compliance in a health-focused environment. The minor program integrates best practices from the business, regulatory, ethics and engineering fields as well as from the medical industry to enhance a student's major discipline with a focus on regulatory and ethical compliance in the health care industry.

Program Requirements

This minor requires the following courses:

  • HCR 260 Health Care Industry and Regulation (3)
  • HCR 261 Health Care Compliance (3)
  • HCR 263 Introduction to Medical Billing and Compliance (3)
  • HCR 360 Data Security and Privacy in Health Care Compliance (3)
  • HCR 362 Monitoring and Auditing for Health Care Compliance (3)
  • HCR 460 Investigations and Disclosures in Health Care Compliance (3)

A "C" or better is required in all required courses.

Students pursuing the minor may seek advising on minor requirements through advisors in the Edson College of Nursing and Health Innovation.

Depending upon a student's undergraduate program of study, additional courses may need to be completed as prerequisites in order to complete the requirements of this minor.

Enrollment Requirements

Students must have a minimum of a 2.00 GPA to select this minor.

Students in most majors may pursue one or more minors and, upon successful completion of the prescribed course work, have that accomplishment officially recognized on the ASU transcript at graduation if the college or department of the minor officially certifies, through established verification procedures, that all requirements for the minor have been met and the college (and, in certain colleges, the department) of the student's major allows the official recognition of the minor. A student wishing to pursue a specific minor should consult an academic advisor in the unit offering that minor to ensure that an appropriate set of courses is taken. The student should also consult an academic advisor in the college or department of his or her major to make sure the college or department of the major allows the recognition of the minor.

Note: Certain major and minor combinations may be deemed inappropriate either by the college or department of the major or minor. Courses taken as part of a minor may not count toward both the major degree and the minor. Please contact the department for more information.