Student Leaders Application
Edson College of Nursing and Health Innovation Student Leaders demonstrate leadership, academic excellence, and exceptional interpersonal skills. In addition, Student Leaders have a keen interest in helping new students succeed through involvement and engagement with Edson College, ASU’s Downtown & West campuses and the University. We are currently seeking to fill positions for ASU 101 Student Facilitators and Camp Edson Counselors. These two positions are highly visible and responsible roles offered to a select number of dedicated students.
- Develop leadership skills and grow as a student leader while enhancing your resume
- Enhance skills in the areas of interpersonal relationships, problem-solving, public speaking, etc.
- Develop a network through working with faculty, administrators, and staff in the college
- Connect with other Edson College students and peers
Edson College Student Leaders behave in a courteous and professional manner in representing the school and its programs. In addition, they:
- Serve the Edson College of Nursing and Health Innovation
- Set an example of leadership, scholarship, and integrity
- Work cooperatively as a team
- Respond to the coordinators’ and staffs’ communications in a timely manner
- Adhere to commitments and deadlines
ASU 101 Student Facilitator
ASU 101 Student Facilitators are Edson College of Nursing and Health Innovation students who serve to support the first-year student’s transition into college life. Student facilitators are assigned to teach one section of ASU 101, a required course for all first-year students, of 19 students, with whom they facilitate course curriculum related to campus resources, career exploration, and the Health Innovation Exhibition project. Student facilitators are tasked with reporting to student engagement staff the names of students who show signs of uncertainty, disinterest, or disengagement. This position provides an opportunity for current students to grow in leadership and career readiness skills such as interpersonal communication, complex problem solving, group dynamics, and public speaking.
Student Facilitator Requirements
- An undergraduate student enrolled full-time in the Edson College of Nursing and Health Innovation
- Completed a minimum of one semester at ASU
- Enrolled full-time for Fall 2020
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Participation in weekly meetings throughout the Fall 2020 semester
- Facilitate class instruction for (1) section of ASU 101 for Fall 2020
- Hold (2) office hours per week during course facilitation weeks
- Attend Spring 2020 and Fall 2020 training days (TBD)
- Attend the Health Innovation Exhibition, Health Careers Expo, and other events related to ASU 101 requirements as class schedule allows
- Have an enthusiastic and positive attitude about ASU and the Edson College student experience
- Exhibits a growth mindset and willingness to be challenged
- Attendance at Camp Edson (August 15th -16th) is strongly suggested
Camp Edson Counselor
Immerse yourself in the Edson College community while enjoying the mountains and cool air of Prescott, Arizona! Camp Edson is a two-day, one-night experience, before classes start, designed for our incoming first-year students. You will mentor these students, assist with their transition into the college environment, give tips-of-the-trade as to how to succeed, get to know more of your peers, engage with faculty, staff, and college leadership and create memorable experiences, not only for our new students but for yourself!
Camp Edson Requirements (Training in August; sophomore, junior, senior-level volunteer position):
- Attend training in August (TBD) prior to camp departure.
- Commit to attending Camp Edson in Prescott, Arizona from Saturday, August 15th through the afternoon of Sunday, August 16th
- Assist students with check-in on campus and bus boarding
- Lead scheduled activities and participate in all aspects of the camp experience from bus ride games to s’mores at night
- Guide, mentor, and build rapport with incoming ASU Edson College first-year students
- Other related duties as assigned
Compensation: leadership training, transportation, meals, ASU/Edson College swag, and a memorable experience!